I have heard there are some great benefits to drinking kombucha but I never knew exactly what they were. A friend of mine wanted me to try it. I was hesitant at first because I am not big on trying things.
I mean, kombucha seems kinda scary to me. You know, with all the fermentation going on you never know what it’s going to taste like. I imagined it would taste really gross. I can say the ones I have had were really yummy and left me wanting more.
My daughter has even gotten into the kombucha craze with me! Personally, I think she likes it more for the 1% alcohol it contains. She went as far as asking me how much she would need to drink to get drunk. I thought that was too funny and told her it isn’t like that.
So, what is kombucha? It’s a fermented tea which includes black tea or green tea, bacteria (probiotic), yeast and sugar. You can make it at home but I would rather buy it. It’s even a great alternative to buying soda.
If you didn’t know, this fermented tea has been around for a long time. In fact, China has been making it for 2000 years! They were known to drink it for different ailments and cancer prevention.
What are the benefits of such a yummy drink?
- Rich source of probiotics – probiotics give your gut healthy bacteria like yogurt does
- High in antioxidants – helps in fighting free radicals; free radicals are known to cause cancer
- Can kill harmful bacteria – the acetic acid produced during fermentation can kill harmful microorganisms
- Reduce heart disease – can improve your LDL and HDL cholesterol
- Protects against cancer – because the high concentration of tea polyphenols and antioxidents rid your body of free radicals; free radicals are known to cause cancer
These benefits alone make it worth trying. If you enjoy drinking black or green tea for their benefits, then it is in your best interest to give kombucha a try. I have found one that I really like, Big Easy Bucha. It’s a local brand that I have fallen in love with. I can find it in our local Whole Foods for a decent price.
If you had any doubts before, I hope I have dashed them. Give kombucha a try! You won’t be disappointed.